D3a - Dipartimento di Scienze Agrarie, Alimentari e Ambientali - Guida degli insegnamenti (Syllabus)
Knowledge concerning General and Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Agricultural Chemistry or Forest Chemistry
The topics of the course will be treated with the help of Power Point presentations, provided in copies to the students regarding the lectures (4 ECTS) but also through critical analysis of recent scientific publications selected in collaboration with students and educational visits in contaminated areas and laboratories working in this field (2 ECTS).
Knowledge. The course aims to provide students with knowledge on chemical, chemical-physical and biochemical processes governing the interactions between soil and polluting xenobiotic agents and on the possible recovery mode of polluted soils.
Applying knowledge and understanding. The main aim of this course is to provide students with necessary knowledge concerning the contamination of the soil and the choice of the most suitable remediation techniques.
Cross-expertise. Ability to use the knowledge acquired during the course for the study and evaluation of potential risks of environmental pollution arising from land management system also forf the contamination of surface and groundwater and to operate in working groups in the design of methods for the remediation and recovery of contaminated environments.
Presentation of the Course The main soil pollutants. inorganic contaminants (heavy metals) and organic (pesticides, organic synthetic substances). regulatory and procedural aspects. Remediation of contaminated sites: making safe, reclamation and environmental restoration of polluted sites. The National Program of remediation of contaminated sites. Site Characterization (2 ECTS).
Organic Pollutants. Nature and behavior of organic pollutants in soils: investigation methods and objectives. Description of the chemical-physical characteristics of the soil, the role of the organic fraction and the mineral fraction. Technical monitoring and pollution control. Techniques and methods of intervention. Major rehabilitation methods of contaminated soils. chemical, physical and biological treatments both in and ex situ (2 ECTS).
Inorganic pollutants. Nature and behavior of metals in soils: investigation methods and objectives. Description of the chemical-physical characteristics of the soil, the role of the organic fraction and the mineral fraction. Technical monitoring and pollution control. Techniques and methods of intervention. Major rehabilitation methods of contaminated soils. chemical, physical and biological treatments both in and ex situ. Stabilization techniques (2 ECTS).
Soil Management and Conservation is an integrated course made of two units: Soil Evaluation and Maintenance (6 ECTS) and Soil Pollution and Remediation (6 ECTS). Each module is independently evaluated, but with one final grade, resulting from the weighted average (by ECTS of each unit) of the marks obtained in the two modules.
Learning evaluation methods
Final assessment will focus on an oral examination lasting about 30/40 minutes.
Learning evaluation criteria
The student will demonstrate during the interview that he had acquired both the knowledge of the topics covered during the course and knowing how to properly expose with a technical-scientific language appropriate and also the ability to expose (power point presentation) and critically analyze a scientific article about the issues of the course.
Learning measurement criteria
The oral exam consists of 2-3 questions on arguments treated during the course (30% of the final mark) and 2 queries dealing with reasoning on and connections among arguments that are typical of the soil evaluation and maintenance activities (remaining 70% of the grade).
Final mark allocation criteria
The assignment of the final grade will be out of thirty and is the weighted average of the scores obtained in each test. The honors (will be given to students who have achieved the highest rating will also have demonstrated the ability to connect the course topics.
Ettore Capri, Marco Trevisan, I metalli pesanti di origine agricola nei suoli e nelle acque sotterranee, Pitagora editrice Bologna, 2002.
Francesco Basso, Difesa del suolo e tutela dell’Ambiente, Pitagora Editrice Bologna, 1995