D3a - Dipartimento di Scienze Agrarie, Alimentari e Ambientali - Guida degli insegnamenti (Syllabus)
The following topics are propaedeutic to the teaching: basic knowledge of general biology and chemistry.
The course consists of a balance of theoretical lectures (4 ECTS, 36 hours) and other activities, such as classroom practicals, carried out individually or in small groups, visits to local and national factories (2ECTS, 18 hours, in all).
Knowledge and understanding:
the course enables students to acquire the integrative knowledges about the integrated pest management in stored products, prevention and monitoring of pests, entomological analysis on food, pest control methods.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
the main objective of the course is the development of the student's ability to recognize the main stored products infestation and to develop integrated pest management strategies.
(a) making judgements: ability in the identification of the information to improve the efficiency of the processes and the quality of the final products; (b) communications: communication skills, being able to clearly and exhaustively communicate notions, ideas, problems and technical solutions to interlocutors, either professional or not, representative of the various and specific competencies in the agro-food supply chain (engineers, biologists, chemists, administrators).
1. Spread of store product pests. Arthropods. Insects: morphology (head, thorax, abdomen) and anatomy (nervous, digestive, circulatory, respiratory, excretory, secretory and reproductive systems; embryonic and post-embryonic development). Mites: morphology, anatomy and post-embryonic development. Rodents, Muridae: morphology and development. (1.5 ECTS)
2. Systematic of the main storage products pests (Insects, Mites, Muridae). (1.5 ECTS)
3. Biocenosis in production departments and in stored products. Pest related disease and pathogens (non-allergic disorders, allergic disorders, ingestion of arthropods or their parts, toxins ingestion, vector-borne diseases). Integrated pest management: prevention, monitoring, defense. Pest control: cockroaches, moths, diptera, beetles, wasps, mites, murids. (2 ECTS)
Learning evaluation methods
Oral discussion on three of the subjects listed in the teaching program.
Learning evaluation criteria.
The student will have to demonstrate: (a) sound knowledge of the morphological and anatomical pests structures; (b) sound knowledge of the main stored products pests, their damages and pests identification; (c) sound knowledge of prevention, monitoring and control strategies of stored products pests.
Learning measurement criteria
The final mark is attributed in thirtieths. The exam will be considered passed with a final mark ranging from 18 to 30 with honors.
Final mark allocation criteria
The oral examination consists of three questions concerning the subjects listed in the teaching program, each of ones will be quantified in the range 0 - 10.
In order to pass the examination, the student will have to demonstrate: (a) overall understanding of the subjects; (b) appropriate use of technical terminology. In order to obtain the best evaluation, the student will have to demonstrate: (a) in-depth knowledge and understanding of the subjects; (b) Appropriate use of the technical lexicon; (c) ability to solve simple problems concerning modifications of process parameters or single unit operations.
- Süssi L., Locatelli D.P. I parassiti delle derrate: riconoscimento e gestione delle infestazioni nelle industrie alimentari. Calderini Edagricole, 2002.
- Trematerra P., Gentile P., Gli animali infestanti in molini e pastifici e loro gestione. Chirotti Editori, 2008.
- Pagani M., Savoldelli S., Schiaparelli A. Manuale pratico per il monitoraggio e riconoscimento degli insetti infestanti le industrie alimentari. Diptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera : Cenni sugli acari delle derrate. Sinergitech, 2010.